Faculty of Medicine

Hacettepe University was established on 8 July 1967 with the Law No. 892 and the Faculty of Medicine played the core role. However, the establishment dates of some institutions that make up Hacettepe University and the Faculty of Medicine go back further. The “Child Health Chair”, which was established on February 2, 1954 under Ankara University Faculty of Medicine, can be considered the beginning of Hacettepe Faculty of Medicine. This chair, which was opened in two rooms of a rented building in the Cebeci district, carried out its first works practically in the homes of the patients around it.

On the other hand, the construction of Hacettepe Children’s Hospital was started. On July 8, 1958, the Child Health Institute with legal personality was established and this Institute started education, training, research and public service in Hacettepe Children’s Hospital. In 1961, the School of Health Sciences, which provides education in the fields of nursing, medical technology, physical therapy and rehabilitation, was opened in Hacettepe, and in 1962, the Dietetics Department of the School of Home Economics was opened. In 1963, Hacettepe School of Health Sciences became the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, and the Department of Basic Sciences, Nursing, Physiotherapy-Rehabilitation, Medical Technology Colleges and the Dietetics Department of today’s Health Technology High School were reorganized under the aforementioned Faculty. Three months after this development, the School of Dentistry affiliated to the Faculty was established.

While educational activities have been carried out since 1954, talented young people who graduated from Turkish universities were sent abroad to do specialization, doctorate and research. All of these young people returned to their homeland and formed an important part of the teaching staff of Hacettepe University.

Hacettepe Science Center was established in 1965 to coordinate the educational institutions of Hacettepe University, and Hacettepe Medical Center Hospital was put into service in 1966. Later, new faculties, higher schools and departments were opened under Hacettepe University.

Every year, the university expands and makes new breakthroughs. After the establishment of Hacettepe University, the name of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences was changed to the Faculty of Medicine.

Pre-graduation education at the faculty started in 1963 and gave its first graduates on July 8, 1969.

The main purpose of Hacettepe University is to raise sound-minded intellectuals with a scientific understanding, analysis and research skills, to have scientific studies and researches done, and to focus on social problems. In order to achieve this goal, Hacettepe University tries to bring Turkey to the level of modern civilization on the path of science that Atatürk showed.

Departments

Please click here for more information about Faculty of Medicine.

Menu